Veggie Quinoa Chili
One of my most favorite recipes and leftover meals!
Prep Time: 1 hour
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced into thin coins
- 1 green or red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 large jalapeno chilis, seeded and minced
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes with added puree
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup kale, finely chopped
- 2 15-oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 15-oz cans of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 2 tbs white wine vinegar
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp groud corriander
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt for topping, if desired
Heat 2 tbs olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, bell pepper, and jalapenos and saute until onion and carrots are almost tender, about 8-10 mins. Add tomatoes, kale, 3 cups water, beans, quinoa, white wine vinegar, garlic, and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered until quinoa is tender and mixture thickens, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Ladle chili into bowls, garnish with cilantro, spoonful of yogurt, if desired and serve.
Freeze the leftovers!
This recipe makes A TON and tastes even better the next day. After night #2, divide up the leftovers, store in freezable containers and when chili craving hits, defrost and enjoy!